1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Temporary emails are not supported for signing up accounts on 3DS Chaos, this includes 10 minute emails. All will be detected by our system & the accounts will be deleted
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Shared accounts, multiple accounts & inappropriate usernames not allowed on our site

Please use a legit email account from a reliable email provider, temporary email accounts are not allowed & will be rejected by our system
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Problem Signing up?

Please use the contact us link at the bottom of the site listing the problem with your email & ip addresses & the problem will be looked into by our admin team
    Dismiss Notice

Tutorial CFW/IOSU on SysNAND without RedNAND

MattKimura Nov 10, 2016

Tags:
  1. MattKimura

MattKimura Active Member

It's possible to run IOSU CFW on SysNAND and install DLC, Eshop, and VC just like you could in RedNAND, all without needing RedNAND. Wii VC works too! All it requires is for you to run CFWBooter from Homebrew Launcher or Haxchi. You can enjoy all the benefits of RedNAND right on SysNAND, great for those who don't have a big enough SD card for RedNAND.

Guide Updated 12-8-16
    - Added fw.img and CFWBooter again, as SigPatcher2SysMenu was buggy

Setup Files
    Hidden Content:
    **Hidden Content: You must click 'Like' before you can see the hidden data contained here.**

Instructions:
    1) Extract the files from the zip onto your SD card, replace if any exists
    2) Put the SD into the WiiU, go to system settings. Under power settings, disable "Standby function" and "Quickstart menu". This can cause problems with IOSU down the line.
    3) Launch the browser on the WiiU and go to http://loadiine.ovh/550/HBLK to launch Homebrew Launcher
    4) Choose CFWBooter and the gamepad screen will display IOSUHAX then return to home menu, but with IOSU signature patches

From here you can install DLC, Eshop games, and VC games using WUP Installer as usual, by loading Homebrew Launcher (From loadiine.ovh/550/HBLK again) and choosing WUPInstaller Y Mod.

[Recommended]
    If you want an easier method for booting into CFW, buy any DS VC game from Eshop then install Haxchi over it. Guide by FIX94 HERE

Other tidbits
    • You need to launch CFWBooter each time you turn on your Wii U to renable IOSU patches before you can use DLC, Eshop games, VC, or Wii VC.
    • When you try to launch a Eshop/VC/game with DLC without enabling CFW, you'll just get a popup message about it not having the correct NNID. Nothing to worry about, just launch CFW and enjoy.
    • It's completely safe for as long as you're only installing games, DLC, updates, etc. Just don't try installing system titles, stick to the usual stuff!
    • Don't try to install SysConfigTool, it's unsafe and can lead to bricking
    • Region free is enabled by default when you boot up CFW!
    • Every user on your system can boot into CFW and play the same DLC content under their own save files, so be sure to take advantage of user accounts!
    Downloading & Installing DLC, Eshop Games, VC, & Wii VC

Follow my guide here:
    Tutorial - Downloading & Installing Wii U Games, Eshop Games, VC, & DLC

Last edited: Dec 8, 2016 at 11:03 PM
    GinBunny, xer0510, Fwizbee and 435 others like this.
  2. Shmario

Shmario New Member

this looks awesome,but a question..why i need FIX94's fw.img file?i use him on CFWBooter?

3. LuisGerdez

LuisGerdez New Member

Is there a brick risk?

4. MattKimura

MattKimura Active Member

@Shmario @LuisGerdez

I heard that it can be any fw.img, but people have reported that using FIX94's stuff works with this so thats what I provided in the pack. It works perfect!

Nope there's no brick risk as long as you don't install system titles. Stick to games and DLC and you'll be perfectly fine.

Superman and Andresa like this.
  5. sidnei55

sidnei55 New Member

Region Free Works ?

6. gamerios

gamerios New Member

Good

7. MattKimura

MattKimura Active Member

Region free still doesn't work, but I heard that you can edit a game's xml file. I have no tutorials on that and don't know how it works yet.

8. Arkium

Arkium New Member

Can we play online on games that were installed with CFWBooter?

9. jaxrogers2

jaxrogers2 New Member

FunkiiU has never worked for me. How do I install Python correctly? I have a bootcamped Windows 7 SP1 "PC" to work with.

10. MattKimura

MattKimura Active Member

Yep you can play online with or without CFW. You can enjoy all the DLC online too!

Arkium likes this.
  11. Trebic

Trebic Member

To play , say a USA game on a PAL console , you will need to launch CFWBooter . I've done it once, but can't remember the exact process...

First you need to install the game on your console, then open CFWBooter
    Once CFWBooter is loaded, launch wupclient.py on your computer and connect to the console.

This is to mount the usb :
    Use w.open("/dev/fsa", 0) and it should print a few numbers
    Then w.FSA_Mount( ###, "/dev/usb01", "/vol/storage_usb", 2) *Where ### is the numbers you got before
    Then w.close( ### )

Now you need to change the directory to the meta folder for the game you want to change the region of
    You use w.cd( "dir" ) to change the directory, for example, to access the usb drive you will type
    w.cd( "/vol/storage_usb" )

I can't remember the exact structure of the folder layout, so you may need to search through the folder structure,
    use w.cd( ".." ) to go back a directory and w.ls() to display the contents of the directory
    The directory 'should' be '/vol/storage_usb/user/titles/00050000/1017d900/meta' < where '1017d900' is the title id for the game.

Then use w.dl("meta.xml") to download the meta.xml file ( You might be able to use w.dl("meta.xml","c:\meta.xml") to download
    the file to c:\meta.xml .

Then edit the meta.xml with notepad++ . Find <region type"hexBinary"... should be line 35 .
    For USA , it should be <region type="hexBinary" length="4">00000002</region>
    For PAL , it should be <region type="hexBinary" length="4">00000004</region>

I am not sure what JPN should be, but i am guessing 00000008 .
    Now to upload the edited meta.xml

( !!! THIS STEP CAN CAUSE SOME REAL PROBLEMS ON YOUR CONSOLE !!! )

Use w.up( "meta.xml" ) to upload the meta file (Make sure you are still in the directory on the wii that you got the meta.xml from )
    You can use w.up( "c:\meta.xml", "meta.xml" ) to upload the meta.xml from c:\meta.xml
    !! IF YOU USE THIS STEP, MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE SECOND META.XML IN THE COMMAND !!
    If you don't, the file that will upload will be called "c:\meta.xml", your console will NOT read past this file, your game will not work,
    and you will NOT BE ABLE TO DELETE THE GAME. You WILL need to format the usb drive.

Now, if all is done well and correct, you can restart your wii u and the game will now load properly .
    Tested this with the USA version of Lego Star Wars Force Awaken on a PAL console .

Edit : If need be, I can do up some screenshots to make it a bit easier.

pipe3600, fejich and MattKimura like this.
  12. fabiotc

fabiotc New Member

Great! Thanks

And where's the files?

13. Trebic

Trebic Member

WUPClientGUI
    You should be able to use the CFWBooter and fw.img that MattKimura has uploaded

MattKimura likes this.
  14. MattKimura

MattKimura Active Member

I really appreciate this guide, I've been wondering how this process worked. This makes things much more clear. You should definitely post a guide on this, it's extremely helpful.

15. fejich

fejich New Member

When The Game Installed Update ,It Not Work
    Do You Have Any Ideal ?

16. Arkium

Arkium New Member

What happens if we try to run, for example, a game with DLC installed via this method? Brick or just don't open and give an error?

17. MattKimura

MattKimura Active Member

Are you asking about sysNAND CFW? If so yes you can install DLC while CFW/IOSU is enabled. And you just simply have to launch the CFW to use the DLC each time. You can't brick by installing games, updates, or DLC, it's not possible.

18. Trebic

Trebic Member

I might post a tutorial soon as i don't want to hijack this thread, but to answer your question, you may need to change the meta.xml file for the update as well. It should be located at '/vol/storage_usb/usr/title/0005000e/<titleid>/meta'

Lastly, this method doesn't work with Super Mario 3D world. I presume that nintendo has a built in system that verifies there own games.

MattKimura likes this.
  19. Arkium

Arkium New Member

What i meant was: if i play, for example, Smash with all DLC unlocked by this method, but (when i boot up my Wii U by press and hold power button) i forgot to launch CWFBooter, so, what happens: nothing or brick?

Last edited: Nov 12, 2016
  20. PrimusZa1

PrimusZa1 New Member

SO I tried this with DLC for SSB and Hyrule Warriors and it works as it said it would. But when I tried it with Fatal Frame 5 full game which I dl'd with FunKiiU it still shows up as a trial mode even though i installed it on the CFW side and run it with the CFW running. any ideas?